The original portion of the building known today as the Historic Rose Hotel is believed to have been constructed by James McFarland (1776-1837) and operated as McFarland’s Tavern & later as a boarding house to serve the Ohio River travelers. The Rose Hotel (owned by the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency) underwent a major renovation and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.
The Rose Hotel is a two story “L” shaped brick structure. Portions were constructed in phases (circa 1830) & (circa 1848) and following the Civil War. A striking veranda overlooking the Ohio River was added on around 1866. The building has been “restored” and is used as a “Hotel Bed & Breakfast” facility. A frame gazebo was rebuilt replacing the original one in 1882 located on the front lawn bluff of the hotel overlooking the Ohio River.