The original portion of the building known today as the Historic Rose Hotel is believed to have been constructed by James McFarland (1776-1837) and operated as a tavern & later as a boarding house to serve the Ohio River travelers. The Rose Hotel was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. The Rose Hotel is owned by the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency and underwent a major renovation at a cost of $1.6m.
The Rose Hotel is a two story "L" shaped brick structure. Portions were constructed in phases (circa 1830) & (circa 1848), & following the civil war. A striking veranda overlooking the Ohio River was added around 1866. The building has been "restored" and is used today as a "Hotel & Bed & Breakfast" facility. A frame gazebo built in 1882 is located on the front lawn of the hotel overlooking the river. Today, the Historic Rose Hotel is managed by Susan M. Hemphill, who also owns and operates the River Rose InnBed & Breakfast across the street!